Monday, January 4, 2010

Hall of Famer?

I hope everyone had a Happy New Year. With the College Football Season coming to a close this week and the NFL Playoffs starting, the 2010 Baseball Season is right around the corner though officially you could argue that it begins with tomorrow's Hall of Fame voting announcement.

On the subject of Hall of Fame voting announcements, each January from 1993 to 2007 brought along the tradition of me following the results of baseball's Hall of Fame voting and seeing how Steve Garvey did in the voting as well as who would be inducted in the upcoming year. Up until Steve's final year on the ballot, I hoped that Steve would gain enough votes to get elected or at least get more than the year prior. For reasons unknown to me, Steve not only wasn't inducted into the Hall of Fame but his percentage of votes dropped significantly as the years went by (I'll save my thoughts/conspiracy theories on this for a future post).

With that said, I hope that the deserving candidates that have been on previous ballots (i.e. Andre Dawson, Tim Raines, Alan Trammell, Mark McGwire, Harold Baines, Jack Morris, Lee Smith, Bert Blyleven) experience sizable vote increases from last year or if they're lucky even receive enough votes to get inducted. As for this year's significant newbies (i.e. Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin, Fred McGriff, Edgar Martinez, Andres Galarraga), I wish you the best of luck.

No comments: