Tuesday, October 6, 2009

That's Odd?

This post is for all the oddball releases of Steve Garvey from the 1975-1979 with the exception of Kellogg's (which were in an earlier post) and the MSA Discs. Because there are so many of those round circles, I'm going to save them for another post.



My collection of these items is a work in progress as I still need quite a few items. When complete it'll include the following releases; 1975 SSPC & SSPC Puzzle Backs, 1976 Linnett Superstars, 1975-79 Hostess, 1977 Topps Cloth Stickers and 1979 Topps Comics (as well as anything else if I discover it exists).





1975 SSPC #77 (front)


This set is often called the "Pure Card" set because of the sets clean design. I believe it was produced by the same company (TCMA) that made various sets of Minor Leaguers and Retired Players during the 1970's and 1980's.



1975 SSPC #77 (back)



Many of the descriptions on the 1975 SSPC card backs were written by Keith Oberman.


1975 SSPC Puzzle Backs (front)





This card is over-sized.



1975 SSPC Puzzle Backs (back)



The puzzle on the back is of Nolan Ryan.




1976 Hostess #19 (front)

I remember checking the back of every box of Twinkies and Ding Dongs as a kid at my local Alpha Beta to try and find Steve Garvey on the back of a box. Once I found him, the challenge was convincing my mom to buy a box of Twinkies or Ding Dongs.










1976 Hostess #19 (back)




Hostess' backs were pretty boring compared to Kellogg's and Topps.





1979 Hostess #8 (front)




Here's Steve in the same pose as half of his Kellogg's cards.







1979 Hostess #8 (back)







1977 Topps Cloth Stickers # 19 (front)





This is a card that I always wanted as a kid but didn't get until a few years ago. I definitely need to get one that's in better condition as this one is fraying.






1977 Topps Cloth Stickers # 19 (back)





1979 Topps Comics #24 (front) - Note: Back is blank.

I remember collecting these as a kid. I probably put together ten sets as the set was small, the packs were cheap (5 cents per) and the gum was big and good. For whatever reason, the Eddie Murray comic was tough for me to get.





1977 7-11 Slurpee Checklist
Update: This came with a recent purchase. Sort of non-descript looking.

No comments: